Showing the 'Pyramus',the 'Psyche' and the 'Philomel' alongside the wharves in Auckland after the declaration of war
Auckland Region (N.Z.)
New Zealand's first warship, the Philomel performed convoy escort duties in the earlier part of the First World War and was involved in the the escort of the Advance Party of the New Zealand Expeditionary Force to capture German Samoa. She then carried out operations in the Mediterranean until 1917 by which time she needed a major refit which was deemed too expensive and so was dispatched back to New Zealand to serve as a depot ship in the Wellington Harbour.
In 1918 the Philomel took on its last active role as a depot ship for the trawlers used for minesweeping operations in Northland and the Kermadec Islands. After the First World War she became a training ship at the Devonport Naval Base.