The memorial was unveiled on Sunday 14 February 1926 by the Hon F J Rolleston the Minister of Defence. The front part of the structure is a shelter with three arched openings. Opposite the main opening is a semi-circular space forming a memorial shrine where the names of soldiers are inscribed on marble panels. A wrought iron gate divides the shrine from the shelter. Funds for the memorial were raised by the Northcote Women's Progressive League.