Map of Takapuna Village and Katrine (now Anzac) Street. [1865?] Heritage Images, (Auckland Libraries) NZ Map 4496-17.
Also Known AsKatrine Street
LocationTakapuna, AucklandGeotag View of Anzac Street looking east towards the roundabout intersection with Hurstmere Road, central Takapuna. Memorial gates of Takapuna Primary School on the left.
Off Hurstmere Road, Anzac Road was formerly called Katrine Street until it was renamed in 1916 (Takapuna Borough Council Minutes 20.9.1916 p.92). The street was part of the original 1843 subdivision of central Takapuna. The tram depot for the line looping around Lake Pupuke that connected Takapuna and Milford residents with the ferry terminal at Bayswater was also formerly located on Anzac Road, on the site of the present Wilsons outdoor car park. Takapuna Primary School, which has memorial gates commemorating pupils who went on to fight in World War 1, is also on Anzac Road, and the historic Berkeley Theatre (formerly the Tudor Theatre) is near by.